Friday, July 20, 2012

Why I am Here

Today is the 20th of July, 2012. Today I have officially ended my service as a Peace Corps Volunteer. While packing, I was reading in my journal and I found an entry nearly two years back, just as I was beginning my service. I have typed it out below, word for word. Please excuse typos, etc. I titled it “Why I Am Here.”

“22-July-2010

Why I Am Here

I applied to the Peace Corps for several reasons: 1. To learns about culture. 2. To learn another language 3. To serve others 4. To discover if all people are equal.

Culture

My fascination with culture began on the Cal-men’s swimming team. Each year we had a small cohort of foreign swimmers, and I would love learning about their language and culture. Secretly I was envious of their “foreigner” status, as they were able to see and experience my culture by immersion, but their culture was like a novelty that I could merely sample. Though two years seems like a long time, it is barely enough to stay and learn about another culture. It is an incredible opportunity through the Peace Corps to immerse myself first in a home stay, and then in a rural community where I can grow with those around me and live as they do. Things like food, clothing, bartering, communication, music, dance, and religion are things for me to keep in mind, and compare with my American lifestyle. *Remember to take every opportunity to learn*

Language

One of my life dreams is to “dream in another language.” The nuances of language is an integral part of assimilating and understanding culture, and in that way I will be a more effective and influential factor in my Peace Corps experience. Already I am ticked by various translations of words, like “punda mlia” meaning “zebra” but directly translating to “striped donkey.” Also, how words can carry vastly different meanings and the context is so necessary to decipher its meaning. “Mpira” directly translates to “rubber” but can mean “ball” or “condom” or “soccer.” Multiple languages helps me to communicate with a greater amount of people, and also on a deeper level. I hope to become fluent in a year’s time, (in Kiswahili) and continue to use it (perhaps teach it?) when (if?) I return to America.
Service
I have been inspired, inside my veins runs a passion that is fierce and powerful. My life’s purpose is to live for God, and have found that by serving others I am serving God. Though there is an amazing sense of self fulfillment when helping others, I must always remember where my true inspiration comes from, and what my satisfaction is focused on. I have a strong desire to learn and to help others in tutoring, training or the like. I hope I can always keep a fresh perspective and derive my purpose from pleasing God and not those around me. Luckily I am in a place where Knowledge is of great benefit to the people, and information flow is not easy, nor cheap. I am able to give my skills and knowledge to a great capacity, and I must use every opportunity to transfer those skills before I leave.

Equality

Are all people equal? As much as I want to believe that, I divide people by money, status, beauty , age, skill-sets, and probably others. How can I see everyone as the same? At least I am transitioning from basing someone’s worth on their status to valuing them more no their values and their ability to love and serve others. In the States, skin color is so plentiful or not such a great issue. One can find any color, and in any place. Skin color here in Kenya, especially in the rural areas where there is more ignorance and naivety, begets a strong stereotype. All Asians know kun-fu, all whites are wealthy, all black Americans are fluent in Kiswahili, and anyone that isn’t European – looking cannot possibly be from America. I hope in this two year adventure I am able to come away with a fresh sense of perspective and a deep reaching, colorblind love that I may carry back to the United States and throughout my lifetime.

Signed – Louis Vayo II”

Now that I have finished these two years, I ought to reflect upon these entries. But perhaps I will save the reflection for when I arrive back to the United States.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your service as a Peace Corp Volunteer and I do believe you made a difference especially in having many people (including myself) re-think a few stereotypes.

    Goodluck, Kwaheri

    ReplyDelete