Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Technology Disconnect

(Dated: June 3rd, 2010)

I am quite possibly having the greatest experience of my young life. It is not because wild and domestic animals litter the small town I am living in, nor because children endearingly (or annoyingly?) scream "How are YOU, how are YOU??" ever repetitively as I pass by, or because, while wearing a full business suit, I met with the chairman of a small, non-profit microfinance institution and not 30 minutes later changed into running gear and worked through a 5 mile trail run with the twin peaks of kilimanjaro on the near horizon. It is not even because the shower at my homestay has a window, and I get to watch the sunset while bucket-bathing. It is because I am unplugged; unreachable; untouchable save for the African community I am involved in and my fellow peace corps trainees.

If it was any question whether or not I feel like a stranger in a strange land in my last post, it has been thoroughly answered. I am a foreigner. Already, my English is regressing, my Kiswahili is slowly improving, my clothes are hand-washed, and I'm pooping in a large and smelly hole in the ground (locally called a “choo” pronounced “ch-oh” not “chew”. To come..my adventures in the choo). On the drive down from Nairobi to Loitokitok, I spotted a family of giraffes and a couple of ostrich. Also, wild black and white colobus monkeys can be seen at our training hub on a good day. Everything is exciting and wonderful and different and uncomfortable. Here's a quick summary:

Family Living: My homestay is great so far. My mother is taking classes in Nairobi to get her teaching certificate, my father is a local pastor, my elder brother (18 years old) is amicable and has a warm and pleasant smile and disposition, and my younger brother (11 years old) is barely audible when he speaks and has a slight stuttering problem that becomes more pronounced when he tries to speak English. We also have a houseboy named Abdala from Tanzania, who always wishes me an enthusiastic “Good Morning!!” in kiswahili no matter what time of day it is. My father has a deep and booming voice, suitable for a pastor and reminiscent of Jafari's whisper voice, and it is quite a contrast to the soft-spoken Kenyans. My room is quite small; the thick cardboard door butts up against my twin-sized bed when I open it. Also, three-fourths of my wall is made of recycled “Whole Milk” cardboard pieces, stapled together while the other wall and floor is pure concrete. I have all the amenities I could possibly ask for: electricity in my room and throughout the house, unpredictable warm shower access, access to internet (via a USB dongle I recently purchased), and a television that is always on. Usually we watch swahili gospel music videos, Kenyan news, or WWE wrestling. I have been asked multiple times if the wrestling is real, and I always reply with the honest “No”, although it is still entertaining to watch the Undertaker choke-slam Rey Mysterio. I also live on a farm. We have a full grown cow and a baby calf (the calf is black and white and is the stereotypical milk-carton calf), 4 goats and as well as a little goat calf (the little goat always eats the flowers near the house, while the family members always try to shoo it away), 7 chickens/chicks and a baby cat. The cat eats a lot of the large, dead insects that are found in the house at night.

This is getting exceedingly long, so I will continue updates later. Quick financial facts: I am paid the equivalent of $33 per week. I can purchase a decent sized lunch for around 60 cents. I pay 50 cents for 10 bananas (delicious bananas), and can send a letter home for about 60 cents. A large, wooden spoon costs 30 cents, and a bar of detergent soap costs 15 cents. A beer is about 2 dollars for about 20 ounces, and a small jar (400 grams) of peanut butter is about the same.

Now after my brief hiatus, I shall continue living my simple, technology-less life. Fare thee well, developed countries!


Wild Animal Sitings: Giraffe, Ostrich, Black & White Colobus, Superb Starling

4 comments:

  1. sooooooooooo awesome!!!!! send me your address!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great Louis! Hope you continue to have an amazing time!! :) ... 60 cents to send letters home on Asian paper...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found your comment on one of Ali's blogs and have been checking your link occasionally because your posts are so interesting! Hope that's ok. (You write well, which is a pet issue of mine.) It's great fun experiencing Paraguay and Kenya through both your perspectives. Ali's Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Josh..haha awesome. i know. you would seriously love it. I hope to put pictures up in a month when i get free internet in nairobi. right now i'm paying per megabyte =)

    cheesburgers..nayday! sadly it costs 95shillings (1.30 dollars) to send any type of letter, but they have something called an "Aerogram" which i will write you on soon. don't worry, i wont forget your birthday =)

    Marmieof4..hello alison's mom! Not at problem at all! You are more than welcome. Alison has been such a blessing in my life, and i'm tremendously grateful to have befriended her. If you speak with her, tell her i say hello!

    ReplyDelete