Friday, June 25, 2010

Stereotypical Problems

Exactly one month and 9 shots ago (Typhoid, hep-A, hep-B x2, Rabies x3, flu, meningitis) I was sitting in an airport in Zurich, anxiously awaiting my first time arrival to Africa. It is difficult to remember all that has happened between now and then, all I remember really is a lot of personal growth. Even as I flip back through my handwritten journal, I can still recall many of the emotions I felt when writing them: excitement, inspiration, wide-eyed wonder. Even now I am still filled with those emotions, but I am beginning to realize some of the struggles I will face as a “Mzungu” in Kenya-land.
Before coming to Peace Corps Kenya, I was prepared for the living conditions. I steeled myself for the discomforts of cold, dirty-watered bucket bathing, no electricity, poor dietary/nutrition access, insect infestation and inability to exercise. In all of these areas I was pleasantly surprised to find the conditions not quite so rugged.
Yet I did not prepare myself for the stereotypes; the bitter taste of being a stranger in a strange land and having everyone else know it has begun to fill my mouth. Anyone with light colored skin (referred to as Mzungu, especially by shouting children as you pass by) is seen as 'Money'. In the markets, we are charged inflated prices, at the restaurants we are served according to their desires, and even small children who hardly know English ask for handouts, mixing in “Give me money” after their plethora of “How are you?'s”. The worst part about this stereotype is: it is deep-seeded and well deserved. On a superficial level, light skin usually refers to tourist, and tourists are happy to pay inflated prices because the relative price is still drastically low. On a deeper level, most support from other countries come in the form of money or food hand-outs, and though such hand-outs might be necessary in extreme instances, as a whole they merely foster an atmosphere of dependence instead of supporting sustainability within the African communities. Fortunately, these issues are exactly what Peace Corps Kenya is here to address. If I can have my community see me for more (or less?) than my white (caramel?) skin, while empowering those around me with knowledge and sustainability, I would consider my peace corps mission successfully accomplished.

Today also marks my first African full moon. Simply glorious.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Louis.....for almost four years I kept time by those same glorious full moons at Metkei Secondary - at 8,500 ft, 6 clicks from the equator and 15 min. walk to the Rift Valley escarpment. Enjoy - many more to come.

    Paul C. - RPCV Kenya (1978 - 1982)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul! How amazing we could look at the moon in the same place, with the same desires to serve the kenyan people in our minds and our hearts, yet 30 years apart! How different it must have been, yet perhaps the same?

    ReplyDelete